The Covenant of Summa Tutela
Summa Tutela stands tall atop a hill overlooking the
Designed and built by the Muslim Sorcerer Abdul-Aleem in the late 9th Century – to take advantage of the trade passing down the Tagus and the Via De La Plata – Abdul-Aleem used large well cut stones and founded the buildings of the Covenant on the ruin of a Roman Temple to Mercury. The Covenant is imposing in its height and strength of simple but confident fortifications. Nonetheless it is a bright and cheery place, especially when silhouetted by the sunny blue sky.
It has been made home by the two magi who took it, and the guards and household staff they brought with them. As you look the Covenant is busy with activity, armed men quietly patrol atop the fortifications and maids, servants and other members of the household busy themselves finishing up tasks before the meal.
Several buildings make up the covenant which stretches along the ridge of a hill. First, at the ridge’s western edge stands the Keep – housing the rooms and laboratories of the Magi – then, as you move east, comes the library, then the kitchen, workshop, stable and finally quarters for the guard, household and guests.
Inside the buildings the rooms have unusually high ceilings that are both light and airy throughout summer – although the temperature can probably drop in winter. Beautiful wooden furniture and the occasional Persian rug fit out the mostly wooden floored complex – presumably left behind by the last occupants. Adding the final touch is an outdoor heated bath.
As well as the Via De La Plata the Covenant is close to the road from
Founded atop the ruin of a Roman Temple to Mercury, the Covenant lies within a powerful Magical Aura that extends across the entire hilltop. Fortified and guarded the inhabitants have all that is necessary for their purpose – though few luxuries.
Run by Celeste Otrera ex Tytalus and Felix Achaemenus Scholae Bonisagus the Covenant is also home to other Magi such as you, fresh from their gauntlets and newly recruited to hold and expand the frontier.
Iberia or Al-Andalusia 1210; the mundane and arcane political backdrop
The Order of Hermes has been taking advantage of this, some suspect provoking the violence, in order to expand the borders of the Order forcefully.
- Magi of House Flambeau are in the vanguard of bringing new members into the Order, or destroying them.
- House Tytalus is also taking advantage of the conflict to recruit, and rebuild their damaged name.
- Members of House Bonisagus appear to be attempting to learn what they can from the Witches, Sorcerers and Cabalists that can be found in the
Peninsula, using a variety of means.
- House Ex Miscellanea is growing fast with new members not fitting into Tytalus of Flambeau finding a home here.
- House Merinita has taken an unusual interest in the
Peninsula, many are unsure why, most don’t care.
- Jerbiton continues to work with the noble mundane, some think too closely, to retake the Christian lands of the
- The Tremere – as soldiers – are closely involved in the conflict on the border, though they are not as in touch with the political activities as they would like; their Covenant in the Pyrenees now far from the expanded border.
The Magi will find themselves in a newly founded Covenant that is set to lead the incorporation of the rest of